Country Prep Subpages
For graduate students, please make sure to enroll in the Sloan Innovation Period (SIP) course about Israel in March.
Courses being offered in AY 2017-2018:
|Course No.||Course Name|
|Israel: History, Politics, Culture, and Identity|
|Israel Lab: Startup Nation's Entrepreneurship and Innovation Ecosystem|
|Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict|
|Minorities and Majorities in the Middle East|
|Co-Existence and Conflict in the Middle East|
|The Middle East in the Twentieth Century (UG)|
|Cities in teh Middle East: History, Politics and Society|
Every student needs a valid passport. The passport must be valid for six months after your departure date from Israel. If you are a US citizen and need to apply for or to renew your passport, please contact the passport division of the State Department. Routine service requires 4-6 weeks.
Visa for Israel
- Unless you are an Israeli citizen, you will need to get an A2 student visa.
- You must book a flight BEFORE you apply for your visa
- Processing time in most cases is same day, but can take up to 2 weeks
20 Park Plaza, Suite 1020
Boston, MA 02116
Tel: (617) 535-0200
Fax: (617) 535-0255
The consulate is open to the public Monday through Friday, 10 AM - 1 PM, but will be closed for all national and Jewish holidays.
Bring the Following Documents with you to the Consulate:
- Passport (valid at least 6 months from the date of departure from Israel)
- Copy of your flight ticket
- Two passport pictures (2” x 2”)
- Valid re-entry visa to the United States (if you are an international student), or a copy of permanent residency (Green card)
- Visa application form (Can be found on Consulate website)
- MISTI MIT-Israel letter (will arrive via email)
- The original and photocopy of the above are needed
- Processing fee in cash: $52 in cash or money order only (MIT-Israel will refund)
- NOTE: Since you are going with an MIT program, you do not need a bank statement
- NOTE: If you plan on traveling to neighboring countries during your time in Israel, please be sure to request a multiple-entry visa.
Students will be given up to $1100 (2016-2017) to cover the cost of their tickets to Israel. It's best to arrive in the morning (not on a Friday or Saturday unless prior arrangements have been arranged), so that students can arrive and sort out their accommodations by 3pm.
For summer internships, most students book flights in April after they have confirmed their summer internships dates.
How do I let MIT-Israel know that I have booked my flight?
We send out a google doc flight form for you to fill in your travel dates, your internship dates, and how much your flight costs. Also, you need to upload your flight itinerary to the student portal.
MIT-Israel provides resources and advice for housing throughout Israel, but it is ultimately up to the student to secure housing. Housing options vary by location, so start looking early, particularly in Tel Aviv. Once you have found lodging, you can take a look at it with Zoomap.
MISTI will cover the cost of lodging in Israel. Budget depends on internship location. Students are required to secure housing within 2 weeks of finalizing their internship dates. MIT-Israel will not cover costs above and beyond the budget after the 2-week deadline.
Tel Aviv Aviv University, Bar Ilan University, and Tel Aviv area housing
Please use the following guidelines.
All other MISTI students
Please contact the relevant person as detailed here and check out the university's website to get acquainted with campus (find links to universities in Housing Resources below)
How do I find housing if I am working in or around the Tel Aviv area?
There is a housing resource for the Tel Aviv area students on the website.
What if I am a non Tel-Aviv area student?
We will help arrange housing for you at the university or another location by the university
To find out more about living in your city in Israel and othe logistics, check out the Student Information Page where previous interns have provided information on local logistics and resources.
Stipends that cover all costs: flight, lodging and all in-country expenses will be direct deposted to students several weeks before internships.