COVID-19 FALL FAQ
We do not know yet. As you may recall, MIT suspended all MIT-sponsored student international or domestic travel for the summer. A planning group is now in the process of developing travel guidance for the fall semester, and will make recommendations about:
- Travel by staff, faculty, and students;
- Local, domestic, and international travel;
- MIT-sponsored and personal travel; and
- Related requirements and processes for travel registration, high-risk waiver applications, post-travel quarantine, etc.
The group is aiming to draft recommendations for the senior team’s review in the next couple of weeks. An update will be shared with the MIT community as soon as a decision is made.
MISTI will continue to create and post opportunities to the MISTI 2020 page with a primary focus on:
- In-country opportunities for students already residing abroad
- Remote internships and other opportunities
- Language learning
- Cultural programming
Considerations for re-opening a suspended program will include:
- lifting of global travel ban
- lifting of country-specific travel ban and downgrading of country-specific risk to level 2 maximum
- absence of quarantine on US travelers by host country
- validity of ISOS insurance in host country
Yes, students on leave can participate in MISTI. Please refer to the MISTI 2020 page for more information on upcoming program offerings.
No. Students may not independently seek or complete a MISTI-sponsored internship outside of the framework of the MISTI program. If a MISTI internship program is suspended, all MISTI-sponsored travel to that country is cancelled.
An internship is considered to be sponsored by MISTI when:
- MISTI funds are used to cover all or a portion of the internship or
- MISTI introduced the student to the host entity and/or made the placement or
- The internship was made available to MIT students thanks to a partnership with MISTI
Faculty members and research scientists with active MISTI Global Seed Funds grants may be eligible for an extension based upon the length of disruption to their project. MISTI will reach out to impacted faculty with more details.