MIT-Africa - Imperial College London Seed Fund
The MIT-Africa - Imperial College London Seed Fund promotes early-stage collaboration between faculty and researchers at MIT, Imperial College London and institutions in Africa.
The funding may be used to support travel costs for exchange between the three teams: one at MIT, one at Imperial College London, and one at a university or non-profit research institution in Africa.
Grants will range between $30,000 and $50,000 for an eighteen-month project period. All three teams have access to the online application portal, and any of the teams may take the lead in completing the application. All three teams must be identified in the proposal.
Grant awards will be evenly divided between and managed by the teams at MIT and Imperial College London to enable travel between the three locations. For instance, a $40,000 proposed budget should include:
1. Approximately $20,000 to be managed by the MIT team for:
- the MIT team to travel to London or Africa and/or
- the Africa team to travel to MIT and/or
- workshops and meetings conducted at MIT
2. Approximately $20,000 to be managed by the Imperial College London team for:
- the ICL team to travel to Cambridge, MA or Africa and/or
- the Africa team to travel to ICL and/or
- workshops and meetings conducted at ICL
Priority will be given to projects that:
- present a balanced exchange between the participants
- demonstrate complementarity between the teams
- involve undergraduate and graduate students
The MIT-Africa - Imperial College London Seed Fund is administered by MISTI Global Seed Funds. All general MISTI Global Seed Funds criteria, application and evaluation procedures apply.