MISTI provides MIT students with the chance to gain hands-on, real-life work experience in leading companies and labs around the world. At no cost.
Internships: Through MISTI's internship program, MISTI program managers work closely with students to find a host and project aligned with their skills and interests in a foreign lab or company.
Global Teaching Labs (GTL): Through GTL select MIT students are matched with foreign high school hosts for three weeks in January. At each location students prepare tailored courses on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects that complement the school's curriculum and highlight MIT's hands-on approach to education. Subjects taught, style of teaching and type of accommodation vary by location.
Global Startup Labs (GSL): Through GSL, MIT student teams teach mobile app development and incubate technologies among budding university student entrepreneurs around the world.
- MISTI has offerings in 25+ locations
- MISTI is open to all majors. Check out our Student Programs "Area of Interest" pages to learn more about sample projects in your field. You can also read former students' stories in MISTI's Notes from the Field.
- All opportunities are cost neutral (MISTI will cover your living expenses and airfare)
- MISTI is open to all MIT students: undergraduates, graduate students and graduating students
(Please note that graduating students must be accepted into a MISTI program prior to graduation and must depart for their trip within 90 days of commencement.)
- Most students go during the summer, but internships are available year-round. Our GTL program is offered in January.
- Program requirements vary by location. Visit the programs' Student and Preparation pages for this information
Click here to learn more about the application process for all MISTI student programs.
MISTI prep and training: As part of your MISTI student experience, you will pursue intensive, location-specific coursework and preparation for your upcoming opportunity abroad. While exploring your host country’s language, culture, history and politics, you’ll gain the perspective you need to imagine your future as a participant and leader in an interconnected world. Some Prep & Training seminar topics include cross-cultural communication, current events, technology and innovation in the host country, navigating the workplace, logistics, and safety.