How it works
First, answer one simple question: Where do you want to go?
MISTI has internship offerings in over 25 countries. Interested in robotics? Maybe Japan is your answer. Fluent in Spanish? Discover Chile, Mexico or Spain. Want to do energy research? The possibilities are limitless.
- Explore MISTI's internship programs by location, language or area of interest.
- Visit Notes from the Field to learn about what other students have done through MISTI.
- Attend one of our fall recruitment events, or come to MISTI's Open Office Hours on Wednesdays 2-4pm and Thursdays 10am-noon at E40-417 to learn more.
Once you’ve decided which country you’d like to intern in, make sure you meet the language and course requirements for that program. Then apply. For summer internships, most application deadlines are in the fall.
MISTI program managers will work closely with you to find a host and project aligned with your skills and interests. We work closely with hundreds of the world's leading companies, universities and research institutions. Once you're matched with an internship, MISTI will work with you to insure all of the logistical (housing, travel) and administrative (visa, stipend) arrangements are made.
Before your internship, you’ll attend MISTI Prep and Training sessions designed to help you make the most of your experience abroad. During your internship, you’ll learn first-hand what it’s like to confront cultural differences and complete a project in an international work environment. Upon return, you’ll attend a MISTI re-entry session to reflect on and share what you’ve learned.
Internship program requirements vary by program. Visit our program pages for complete information.
For undergraduates, most MISTI countries require:
- Proficiency in the language of the host country
Two years of university-level language courses or the equivalent
- One for-credit course on the culture, politics or history of the host country
- Good academic standing at MIT (4.0 or better)
- Completion of pre-departure prep and training sessions
For graduate students, the language and course pre-requisites are recommended but not required except for Japan so please check MIT-Japan Program's website.
Please note that graduating students must be accepted into a MISTI program prior to graduation and must depart for their trip within 90 days of commencement.